Friday, April 19, 2013

A note on reliability: No TOY technology zone

You can say what you want about X10 (toy technology, crap, unreliable, etc). It is just a placeholder right now (I'm looking to design my own Bluetooth LE -- or perhaps ANT sensors).

The real technology is in the software. There are some provisions for dealing with sensor flakiness, but the software itself is meant to be "industrial grade".  This means, among other things: fault tolerance.  The software must deal with bad sensors, bad internet connections.

What this really means: Reliability and integrity.

The system assumes that anything can fail. I will have automatic failure recovery where possible.
The weakest link will be the sensor base station. (Providing a hot swappable base station is too cost prohibitive, IMHO).

Integrity is very important to me. This system should be trusted. No spaming the caretaker with duplicate emails or losing an important notification because an internet connection flaked out.  I can't control the internet, but my software considers it unreliable. Pull a connection and messages are NOT dropped.  If someone is supposed to be notified of an event, they *will* be.

This is NOT toy technology.  I'm building this system to be rock solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment